Loft boarding can transform your unusable loft into a safe and accessible storage space. It comes with a whole host of benefits that you shouldn’t overlook, but when you’ve decided to go ahead with the makeover, you’ll need to decide whether you can do it yourself or need a professional loft board installer to fit it on your behalf.
Doing it yourself is no doubt the cheaper option, but getting it fitted professionally by a loft board installer will have some advantages that might be worth the extra price.
Why using a loft board installer is recommended
There’s no doubt that loft boarding can help you achieve your storage goals, but only if done correctly. DIY loft boarding isn’t recommended unless you know what you’re doing. Without the right tools and knowledge it’s possible that you could cause danger to yourself and damage to your home.
A professional loft board installer will know the quality materials and methods to ensure your loft boarding is designed and built to building regulation standards. This means not only will your transformed loft stand the test of time, but it will also give you confidence in the loft boarding’s ability for you to manoeuvre around safely and find your belongings with ease.
That being said, not every loft boarding installer is the same, and most will opt for boarding that is laid over the insulation. This style compresses your loft’s insulation and significantly reduces its thermal performance, affecting your home’s energy costs.
Instaloft is unique to most loft board installers. We use the UK’s award-winning raised loft boarding system designed specifically to protect and enhance the efficiency of your loft’s insulation and help you save on your energy bills.
Before your loft is boarded, it might be worth having your insulation relaid as it may not have been laid correctly previously or has been squashed because of standard loft boarding.
As part of our service, we will relay your insulation free of charge in a specific way, with one layer between the timber joists and another layer lengthways across them so that the insulation meets the building regulations standards.
Benefits of getting your loft boarding professionally fitted
- Designed to protect and retain insulation – It increases your home’s energy performance rating and reduces carbon footprint.
- Suitable for both old and new builds – Available in almost all lofts, no matter their age or roof type. A professional can also fit it in both houses and commercial buildings.
- No need to squash or remove your insulation – It reduces the risk of moisture buildup leading to dampness and helps to keep your house warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
- Protects energy savings – Save up to £250 a year in energy bills with effective insulation.
- Creates additional storage space in the home – A strong, safe deck for loft storage or to create a loft access walkway to your pipework, boiler, solar panel equipment etc.
Hopefully, these benefits have helped you understand why you should get your loft boarded and also why hiring a professional loft board installer rather than doing it yourself is the best option.
Get in touch if you’re interested in transforming your loft, and we’ll arrange a free zero-obligation quote for transforming your loft. Instaloft is the leading installer of the award-winning Loftzone Storefloor Raised Loft Boarding in the Midlands and the South, the only BBA approved system designed to protect your insulation.